The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Telephone Operator (OPS/TO 1)
Job SummaryUnder the general direction of the Director, Office Management and Transportation, the Incumbent is responsible for operating a switchboard to route and receive calls and to disseminate information to callers to the Ministry.
- Answers incoming calls, connecting callers to correct extensions and making calls to various Government Ministries, Agencies, Departments and Divisions and private offices for staff on request;
- Promoting good public relations and delivering quality customer service;
- Maintains and records all outgoing telephone call in a register;
- Providing advice to callers on matters pertaining to the Ministry and connecting them to the officer(s) who can provide the information;
- Maintains an Operator Register of all persons who assist the operator;
- Confirms telephone bills for long distance calls made through the switch board;
- Maintains an internal directory; makes private calls for staff on request;
- Receives mail;
- Dispatches mails to relevant persons.
- Makes announcement with the paging system when necessary;
- Receives messages and informs those concerned;
- In cases of emergency, ensures that the Permanent Secretary and Senior Managers are notified so that prompt decision can be made for evacuation;
- Informs staff whenever they have surpassed allotted time on calls;
- Keeps abreast of change/information within the Ministry, its Agencies/Departments in order to advise callers.
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Excellent Customer Service skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of the operations of a switchboard
- Sound knowledge of the services provided by the Ministry
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Successfully completed four (4) subjects in CXC/GCE O’ Level inclusive of English Language;
- Training in Telephone Techniques and Switchboard Operation;
- Computer literate.
Special Conditions Associated with the Job
- Sitting for long hours;
- Talking for long hours.
Salary range $507,663 - $603,452 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.