Reporting to the Director, Human Resources Management and Development, the Training and Development Manager is responsible for the Development and implementation of training and development programme(s) for staff, to ensure adequate staff capacity, best fit, competence, and high performance which supports the achievement of the strategic objectives of the Department.
- Participates in the implementation of the public sector Performance Management and Appraisal System (PMAS) by co-ordinating the requisite training for management and staff;
- Liaises with other Senior Executives to solicit the relevant information required from them to ensure their staff training and development needs are identified and addressed;
- Identifies skills/competencies gaps
- Develops and implements the annual Staff Training and Development Programme and Succession Plans in alignment with, and in support of the achievement of the strategic objectives of the Department;
- Develops Training and Development Budget;
- Prepares the yearly Operational Plan and Budget for the Unit
- Maintains effective working relations with external and internal stakeholders, including Training Institutions and clients, ensuring that the division provides a consistently high level of service to them
As Unit Head:
- Plans, develops, organizes, implements, directs and evaluates the Unit’s function and performance;
- Leads in the smooth and efficient operation of the unit through the management of daily operations;
- Establishes and implements systems for reporting of work done against stated and agreed work plans for the Unit;
- Establishes internal control processes required to manage and grow the Unit;
- Meets or exceeds unit performance targets;
- Deputizes for the Director, Human Resources Management and Development as and when required
Human Resources Management:
- Plans, organizes and directs the work of the Unit by overseeing the development of performance targets for the Unit and staff (Unit Operation Plan) based on the Corporate Strategic Plan;
- Ensures that the unit’s staff have sufficient and appropriate physical resources to enable them to undertake their duties efficiently and effectively;
- Provides leadership and guidance through effective planning, delegation, communication, training, mentoring, coaching and disciplinary action;
- Participates in the recruitment of staff for the unit;
- Recommends transfer, promotion, termination and leave in accordance with established Human Resource Policies and Procedures;
- Identifies skills/competencies gaps and develop and implement Staff Development and Succession Plans for the unit to ensure adequate staff capacity;
- Monitors job specific and environmental factors, implements and promotes health and safety policies; and mitigates and minimizes workplace hazards;
- Monitors the performance of unit staff and ensure effective and objective staff performance management, through timely and accurate completion of the staff appraisal process, including periodic reviews;
- Ensures the welfare of Unit staff are clearly identified and addressed.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Emotional Intelligence: Possession of self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and social skills – The ability to display behaviors appropriate to the AGD’s business and social environment
- Integrity: The ability to consistently demonstrate sound ethical standards, observe the codes of conduct for employees and codes of professional practice, and show consistency between established values and behaviors, in order to build trust and credibility;
- Change Management: The ability to maintain effectiveness in a changing environment and the willingness to respond quickly and positively to change, and to lead others through change and manage their concerns
- Strategic Vision: The ability to develop a clear vision of the desired future state of the Department, demonstrate awareness of and or anticipate changing environmental trends, industry opportunities and threats/risks.
- Strategic Planning: The ability to develop effective plans in keeping with the Department’s objectives, including to effectively review policy issues, determine priorities, and set medium and long term goals
- Performance Management: The ability to align resources, systems, standards and activities to effectively, efficiently and consistently meet the goals and Strategic Objectives of the Department are met in a consistent, effective and efficient manner
- Interpersonal skills: The ability to display sensitivity towards others, interact collaboratively with colleagues, and to build long term internal and external relationships and gain support to achieve desired objectives
- Analytical Thinking, Decision Making, and Problem Solving: The capacity to analyze problems promptly, choose between alternatives, and effect meaningful solutions
- Collaboration and Team Work: The ability to be a collaborative business leader, and an inspiring professional who shows a genuine intention to participate and work co-operatively with others in pursuit of team goals
- Leadership and Team Building: The ability to provide vision, direction, allocate responsibilities, delegate and motivate staff in one’s team, to include leading by example
- Customer and Quality Focus: The ability to continuously ensure high standards of quality and service delivery to meet customers’ expectations
- Managing the Client Interface : Ability to work effectively with others, both internal and external to the Department, to deliver acceptable, customer-oriented and high quality service
- Oral and Written Communication: The ability to communicate proficiently orally, in writing, and in one-on-one face-to-face, with excellent public speaking skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized institution in the disciplines of Human Resources Management or Human Resources Development or equivalent;
- At least six (6) years Post Qualification experience in Human Resource Management, with at least three (3) years in a similar or related capacity;
- At least two (2) years of experience working at a managerial level in Human Resources Management;
- Experience conducting training needs assessment;
- Project Management experience.
- Evidence of continuing professional development in Human Resources Management;
- Formal training in Adult Instruction.
Special Conditions Associated with the Job
- Required to travel locally and internationally (requires up to 40% travel);
- Pressured working conditions with numerous critical deadlines.
Salary range $1,730,109 - $2,056,555 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.