The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Job SummaryThe Wine Steward is responsible for selling beverage(s) during meal hours in Main Dining Rooms or designated venue and provides overall beverage service.
In addition to serving beverages his/her duties include the re-stocking of the wine cellar on a daily basis, and once a week may be requested to work during the loading of wines onto to the ship.
- Responsible for achieving the guest satisfaction targets established for the ship in wine service.
- Follows all company wine service standards and sequences of service while on duty.
- Solve in a satisfactory and proactive manner all service and product deficiencies and follows up on guest comments and/or concerns.
- Follows and complies with all Public Health rules and regulations.
- Be knowledgeable about the wine list and able to discuss and suggest wines to guests who ask for advice. The knowledge of how to pair wine with food is imperative.
- Applies salesmanship techniques in order to achieve maximum sales, which will result in higher personal compensation.
- Reports all guests’ queries, discrepancies or suggestions to his/her immediate supervisor. Must have full knowledge of the cashless system on board the ship in order to process all transactions accordingly.
- Duties include the cleaning and sanitizing of his/her working area and working utensils following the United States Public Health rules and regulations and all times.
- Must be available to work extra duties or longer hours if necessary.
- Other duties related to the Bar Department may be assigned from time to time.
- Minimum of two years’ experience as a Wine Steward or Bartender on a cruise ship or a combination of ship and large hotel/bar experience in these positions.
- Supervisory knowledge in running a shift in a large restaurant and/or managing and servicing a large service bar.
- Proven track record in meeting and exceeding revenue targets, service standards and guest satisfaction results.
- Above industry average knowledge of beverage and wine products is required.
- Computer literacy and knowledge of Word Perfect and Excel is preferred.
- Experience with Micros point of sales equipment is preferred
- Secondary Education degree or equivalent is mandatory.
- Courses in safety, environmental, public health and sanitation regulations and procedures are required.
- Proof of continuous participation in wine and other beverage courses and seminars is preferred.
- Proactive, Team Player, Problem Solver
- Passionate about hospitality and customer service driven
- Must have a professional appearance and good hygiene
- Respect for all co-workers and guests
- Pride in your work by creating positive energy, excitement and fun
- Able to work 7 days a week
- Demonstrate positive behaviors; smiling, being polite and courteous
- Able to develop a camaraderie with team members
- Ability to live in close quarters, share limited space with other cabin-mates