The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Works Policy Officer (GMG/SEG 2)
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to be assigned to the post of Works Policy Officer (GMG/SEG 2) – (Not Vacant) in the Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation
Under the general direction of the Director, Works Policy and the Senior Works Policy Officer, the incumbent is responsible for formulating, reviewing and advising on works policies and for liaising with assigned sub-sector operating Agencies to ensure that the plans developed are in keeping with the Ministry’s strategic objectives.
- Facilitates the implementation of programmes and projects being undertaken by the National Works Agency, the Port Authority of Jamaica, the Road Maintenance Fund, the Urban Development Corporation and the Factories Corporation of Jamaica;
- Drafts Cabinet Submissions and Cabinet Notes on the approval and implementation of works infrastructure projects and programmes for the review of the Senior Works Policy Officer/Director, Works Policy;
- Conducts research and analysis of relevant documentation on various issues relating to the works sub sector;
- Facilitates the approval and award of works infrastructure contracts in keeping with the Government of Jamaica’s Handbook of Public Sector Procurement Procedures;
- Prepares briefs, reports and research papers in relation to the works portfolio of the Ministry for the review of the Senior Works Policy Officer;
- Provides administrative and technical inputs to the policy development and legislative processes;
- Carries out follow up activities with respect to the timely implementation of projects and programmes;
- Participates in developing and reviewing proposals for the amendment to existing policies and the introduction of new programmes;
- Assists in the monitoring of the impact of implemented policies in the works sector;
- Contributes to the preparation of the Unit’s Corporate and Operational Plans and Budget.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Background in policy formulation and management
- Strong background in research- experienced in quantitative and qualitative data gathering and analysis
- Knowledge of Central Government’s operational procedures
- Experience in the use of standard computer applications
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good analytical skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Sector Management, Public Administration, Public Policy or related field;
- Training in policy formulation and management;
- Three (3) years professional experience in Policy Development and Analysis in the Public Sector.
Salary range $1,730,109 – $2,056,555 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.