The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Writer, News and Publications
Job SummaryUniversity of The Bahamas is pleased to invite applications for the position of Writer, News and Publications.
The Writer, News & Publications in the Office of University Relations will work closely with the University’s core constituent groups, including faculty, academic and administrative leaders, students, alumni, media houses and friends of the institution, to develop communications content which promotes the achievements, programmes and progress of the institution to national, regional and international audiences. The Writer will develop narratives for print, digital and online media and publications.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The position of Writer, News & Publications is required to perform a variety of tasks including but not limited to the following:
- Generate content ideas for University publications, collaterals, supplements, weekly newsletters and reports;
- Research and write for University publications, press releases and related media and public relations assignments;
- Conduct interviews as may be required for University publications, press releases and special projects;
- Generate news and feature stories to support the University’s public education and awareness efforts;
- Remain abreast of University milestones and achievements and maintain a strong understanding of the national, regional and international context of these developments;
- Gather leads, themes and storyline development;
- Collaborate with other writers, marketing, public relations and graphic design personnel on specific projects;
- Collaborate with internal and external constituents on special projects;
- Provide proofreading assistance and minor editing;
- Develop media and other public relations contacts;
- Perform additional duties as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate and conduct professional interviews.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Media Journalism, Mass Media Arts, Communications or a related discipline, or the equivalent, AND
- At least five (5) years’ post-qualification work experience writing for print, broadcast or online media or publications.